Also in this section…?
- Spoliation Information for Alessi, Andrea - 'St Jerome reading in a cave'
- Spoliation list - 'The Murder', Paul Cézanne
- 'Interior of a Foundry with Visitors', Léonard Defrance
- Spoliation Information for 'Rocher du Skevel', Maurice Denis
- Spoliation Information for 'L'Italienne', André Derain,
- Spoliation Information for Left panel of diptych. Carved with the Virgin and Child with St John the Baptist and St Katherine
- Spoliation Information for Artist Unknown - Dish, maiolica
- Spoliation Information for 'Merit' and 'Abundance' Francesco Guardi
- Spoliation Information for Gilles Joubert (designer), Roger Vandercruse Lacroix (manufacturer), French, Commode
- Spoliation Information for 'Cottage interior with seated woman', Max Lieberman
- Spoliation Information for 'Nocturne', Jean Hippolyte Marchand
- Spoliation Information for 'Break-up of the ice on the Seine, near Bennecourt', Claude Monet
- Spoliation Information for 'Diana and Endymion', Francesco Solimena
- Spoliation Information for Four fragments. Carved with a lute-playing satyr, and three scenes of Susannah and the Elders
- Spoliation Information for Nine panels. Carved with Susannah and the Elders
- Spoliation Information for 'Environs de Rouen', Maurice de Vlaminck
- Spoliation Information for 'Madame Hessel au Sofa', Edouard Vuillard
Spoliation Information for Derain, André - 'L'Italienne'
Canvas laid on plywood, 91 x 72cm (35.83" x 28.35")
Acquisition: Bought from Mayor Gallery, London, 1959.
Reference: WAG 2874
Painted in Paris 1920-1924
1923-24 Galerie le Centaure, Brussels, exhibition of French contemporary art included Derain
Emmanuel Hoffmann (b.1896-d.Basle 3 Oct. 1932) arrived Brussels 1925 (1)
Valentine Gallery, New York; 45 w44th St, New York (2)
Bought by Joseph Hirshhorn by July 21 1945;
Sold by Parke Bernet NY 10m Nov 1948 (3)
Bought JJ Mage
QUESTIONS IN THE OPERATIVE PERIOD
How and when obtained by Valentine Gallery? When sold?
When bought by JJ Mage ?1948
Sold Mage to Mayor Gallery ? and when?
Valentine Gallery was in operation under Valentine Dudensing between 1924-1948
On J Hirshhorn's insurance inventory NB This is the correct spelling of name
Additional questions and information since publication of February report:
When did the owner of Galerie le Centaure, Walter Schwarzenberg sell L'Italienne to E. Hoffmann?
What happened after dispersal of Hoffmann's collection in Basle post June 1933?
Mentioned as in Hoffmann's collection between c.1926-29 in Jean Milo's history of 'Le Centaure' gallery Vie et survie du "Centaure", Editions Nationales d'Art, 1980 p208. After which Hoffmann moved to Basle and his collection disperse after June 1933. Hoffmann's Brussels purchases were made through W Schwarzenberg of Galerie le Centaure.