The Doge's Palace, Venice

Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1840

WAG 999

About this object

The Doge’s Palace was painted during Turner’s last trip to Venice in 1840. It was made by first applying yellow wash for the buildings and their reflection. The blue of the watery foreground was added immediately after. This resulted in occasional patches of green. The details of the gondoliers and their boats would have been drawn in later with ink.

This watercolour was intended as a colour study for Turner’s future reference. This watercolour is thought to have originally been part of a sketchbook now in the Turner Bequest at Tate Britain, London. Unlike the other watercolours in the book, it shows no trace of pencil underdrawing, and so was probably done on the spot.

Object specifics

  • Other title(s)
    The Ducal Palace, Venice; The Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) / Venice
  • Artist(s)
    Joseph Mallord William Turner (British: English, born:probably 23 April 1775, died:19 December 1851)
  • Date
    1840
  • Materials
    Watercolour; Ink; Paper; Scratching out
  • Measurements
    paper: 22.2 cm x 32.3 cm
  • Physical description
    This is a view looking across the Grand Canal in Venice towards the Doge's Palace. St Mark's Campanile, the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica, is also visible to the left of the Palace. The foreground focuses on the Grand Canal and the gondoliers in their boats. The image is pale and hazy, the sky blue.
  • Related people
    R R Meade-King (Previous owner); John Ruskin (Previous owner); Joseph Mallord William Turner (Artist/maker)
  • Other number(s)
    WAG Inventory Number: 999
  • Credit line
    Bequeathed to the Walker Art Gallery by Alderman R R Meade-King in 1934
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Collection
    From the Walker Art Gallery collections

Ownership

Previous owners

  • R R Meade-King

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1934
    Disposal method: Bequeathed to the Walker Art Gallery
  • John Ruskin

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded

Inscriptions

Item inscriptions

  • Inscription text: MINE 9 / -
    Inscription method: Pencil
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location:
  • Inscription text: Whatman 1834
    Inscription method:
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location:
Object view = Fine Art
Page load time: 125 ms