Beaumaris, Anglesea

John Warwick Smith, 1792

WAG 1302

About this object

Smith made annual sketching trips to Wales for his patron the 2nd Earl of Warwick. This watercolor was made in 1792 on the same tour as 'Harlech Castle' (WAG 604), also in the Walker's collection.

Object specifics

  • Artist(s)
    John 'Warwick' Smith (British, born:26 July 1749, died:22 March 1831)
  • Date
    1792
  • Materials
    Watercolour; Pencil; Pen; Ink; Paper
  • Measurements
    image: 13.4 cm x 22.4 cm
  • Physical description
    View of a bay in Beaumaris, Angelsea . The town is spread out along the bay in the distance. There are several boats on the water. The foreground is taken up by greenery.
  • Related people
    Lousia Finch-Hatton (Previous owner); George Greville (Previous owner); Robert Fulke Greville (Previous owner); L Kashnor (Previous owner); John 'Warwick' Smith (Artist/maker)
  • Other number(s)
    WAG Inventory Number: 1302
  • Credit line
    Purchased by the Walker Art Gallery in 1929
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Collection
    From the Walker Art Gallery collections

Explore related

Publications

  • British Watercolours and Drawings: Lord Leverhulme's Collection in the Lady Lever Art Gallery

    Jessica Feather

    Author: Jessica Feather
    Publisher: Liverpool University Press & National Museums Liverpool
    Date: 2010
    Description: Lord Leverhulme's Collection catalogue of Watercolours and Drawings in the Lady Lever Art Gallery

  • Early English Drawings and Watercolours in the Walker Art Gallery

    Edward Morris & Timothy Stevens

    Author: Edward Morris & Timothy Stevens
    Publisher: Liverpool Letterpress Limited, Member of the Steel House Press
    Date: 1968
    Description: Catalogue of Early English Drawings and Watercolours in the Walker Art Gallery collection

Ownership

Previous owners

  • L Kashnor

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1929
    Disposal method: Sold to the Walker Art Gallery in 1929
  • Lousia Finch-Hatton

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: By descent
  • Robert Fulke Greville

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: By descent
  • George Greville

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: By descent

Inscriptions

Item inscriptions

  • Inscription text: July10 1792. the Town of Beaumaris-and the approach to it from Porthaethwy. the promontory of Ormes head across the sea, in the distance.
    Inscription method:
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: Mount
  • Inscription text: taken July10 1792
    Inscription method:
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: Back
Object view = Fine Art
Page load time: 109 ms