This image shows the western edge of Pierhead with St George’s Baths, the long colonnaded building, on the right. George’s Dock is just out of view to the right. Designed by John Foster Jr. (1787-1846), St George's Baths opened in 1829 as the country’s first publicly owned baths. Water from the Mersey was filtered with sand and charcoal before being fed into the baths. The sophisticated bathhouse had hot and cold wings and separate areas for ladies and gentlemen, but they were beyond the reach of the working classes. The Baths were demolished in 1906.
Presented to the Walker Art Gallery by Miss Violet Hunt in 1910, No. 4253