Temple of Jupiter on the Island of Aegina ('The Temple of Aphaia at Aegina')

Frank Sir Short, 1920

WAG 4526

About this object

The ruined temple on the horizon to the right is the same temple as shown in Turner's drawing 'The Temple of Aphaia at Aegina' of about 1816 in the Tate collections D08173.
Turner intended the 'Liber Studiorum' to consist of 100 prints but only 71 were released during his lifetime. He did continue to work on potential prints for the 'Liber' after he had finished publishing the series. A number of related unfinished drawings and plates were found in his studio after his death.

The engraver Sir Frank Short (1857-1945) copied a selection of Turner's original 'Liber' prints as a student. He later engraved plates based on Turner's unfinished designs for the 'Liber'. This print, 'Temple of Jupiter on the Island of Aegina', was made by Short in 1920 based on one of these designs.

The 'Liber Studiorum' illustrated Turner’s arguments for the supremacy of landscape painting. The title means ‘book of studies’ in Latin. It contained no written text, instead it was made up of individual mezzotint prints on paper. They were released in fourteen parts from around 1807 until 1819.

The prints reflected the five categories of landscape painting Turner believed existed: architectural, historical, marine, mountainous and pastoral. Turner wrote an initial on each work to indicate which category it belonged to. It is unclear which category this print was intended to belong to.

Object specifics

  • Other title(s)
    Temple of Jupiter on the Island of Agina; Temple of Jupiter on the Island of Aegina; The Temple of Aphaia at Aegina
  • Artist(s)
    Sir Frank Short (British, born:19 June 1857, died:22 April 1945)
  • Date
  • Materials
    Mezzotint; Paper
  • Measurements
    image: 19 cm x 26.9 cm
  • Physical description
    A view of a ruined temple on the right in the middle distance. In the foreground a circle of seated figures are watching a woman dance with a tambourine. There are trees on the left and in the centre with water and land in the distance.
  • Related people
    Sir Frank Short (Artist/maker); Joseph Mallord William Turner (Designed by)
  • Other number(s)
    WAG Inventory Number: 4526
  • Credit line
    Purchased by the Walker Art Gallery in 1922
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Collection
    From the Walker Art Gallery collections


Item inscriptions

  • Inscription text: Symbol
    Inscription method: Imprinted
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: On Plate; Lower left
  • Inscription text: Frank Short
    Inscription method: Pencil
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: Front; Lower right
Object view = Fine Art
Page load time: 187 ms