Georges Dock was built on the reclaimed foreshore in 1771 but was closed and drained in 1899 to build the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board’s new headquarters, the first of Liverpool’s Three Graces. This image also shows the Goree Warehouses in the background, which were demolished in 1958.
Small schooners would bring cargoes of fresh fruit such as oranges, lemons and grapes to Georges Dock to be sold to the public on the quayside. Short’s top-heavy composition emphasises the size of the dock, while the lone buoy establishes a sense of scale in the image.
Presented to the Walker Art Gallery by the Trustees of the Estate of Miss Dorothea Short in 1973, No. 8340