View of Liverpool from the Bowling Green

Michael Angelo Rooker, Between 1768 and 1769

WAG 8654

About this object

This watercolour is one of a pair of panoramic watercolour views of Liverpool by Rooker. They were engraved by the artist's father and published in 1770.

The buildings, from left to right, include the churches of St Thomas, St George and St Nicholas. The Old Town Hall is the lower dome and St. Paul's church the larger one. Over to the right is the Infirmary, standing on the site now occupied by St. George's Hall. The windmills are in the Lime Street and Islington area, taking advantage of the higher land.

Rooker specialised in topographical watercolours but his usual subjects were country towns and medieval ruins in rural settings; his two views of Modern Liverpool are untypical. He and his father were associated with the Liverpool publisher and historian George Perry (1719 - 1771), whose poem 'The Prophecy of Commerce' contains a proud description of Liverpool, comparable to Rooker's expansive view.

Object specifics

  • Artist(s)
    Michael Angelo Rooker (British: English, born:1946, died:3 March 1801)
  • Date
    Between 1768 and 1769
  • Materials
    Watercolour; Paper on card
  • Measurements
    paper: 31.4 cm x 76 cm
  • Physical description
    A rural landscape view of Liverpool with horses, carts, hay bales and people working the land in the foreground. Beyond is the River Mersey under a large expanse of sky.
  • Related people
    Hugh William Osbert Molyneux (Previous owner); Michael Angelo Rooker (Artist/maker)
  • Other number(s)
    WAG Inventory Number: 8654; Number on Content Team Access database: 1725
  • Credit line
    Purchased by the Walker Art Gallery with the aid of a grant from the Victoria and Albert Museum, 1974
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Collection
    From the Walker Art Gallery collections


Previous owners

  • Hugh William Osbert Molyneux

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1974
    Disposal method: Purchased by the Walker Art Gallery with the aid the Victoria and Albert Museum


Item inscriptions

  • Inscription text: Sept. Cent. Exhibition 1907 Owner Earl of Sefton Address Croxteth
    Inscription method: Label
    Inscription note:
    Inscription location: Back
Object view = Fine Art
Page load time: 78 ms