Samuel Henry Nazeby Harrington

Birkenhead art scholar and collector of prints (1862 - 1937)

Harrington joined the Birkenhead Town Council in 1892 and was the Deputy Chairman of the Libraries committee between 1908 and 1934 (renamed the Libraries, Museums and Art Committee in 1911).

Harrington was the owner of an extensive collection of prints by artists such as Francis Seymour Haden (1818 - 1910), James McNeill Whistler (1834 - 1903), and Samuel Palmer (1805 - 1881). He was a principal force behind the creation of the Williamson Art Gallery and Museum in Birkenhead which opened in 1928, named after its main benefactors John & Patrick Williamson. During his lifetime Harrington donated many important prints to the Walker Art Gallery.
  • Gender
    Male
  • Relationship
    Previous owner
  • Nationality
    British: English
  • Born
    1862
  • Place of birth
    Europe: Northern Europe: UK: England: Merseyside: Wirral: Birkenhead
  • Died
    1937
  • Place of death
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Cause of death
    Unknown or unrecorded
Page load time: 531 ms