Leger Gallery

Art gallery and dealer (1892 - 2001), later renamed Spink- Leger Pictures in 1996

Joseph Leger (1867 - 1925) the son of an Irishman began to deal in pictures in 1892. He was originally an artist and a picture restorer. His son, Harold Leger, had plans to make the gallery one of the best in London. He extended the Duke Street gallery in 1930 and later moved premesis to a property on Old Bond Street. The Leger family also established galleries in New York, Brussels, Paris and Chicago but they struggled to establish themselves in the competitive art markets there.

By 1996, the London gallery had been sold to the coin and medal dealer Spink and Son, then itself owned by the art auctioneers Christie's. The gallery was renamed 'Spink-Leger Pictures' but continued to operate from its Old Bond Street premises. It later closed in 2001.
  • Gender
    N/A
  • Relationship
    Previous owner
  • Nationality
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Born
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place of birth
    Unknown or unrecorded
Page load time: 390 ms