Places of worship
The best surviving example of an Audlsey decorative scheme is the Old Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in Princes Road, Liverpool. The brothers described it as "an eclectic mixture of the best of Eastern and Western schools of art".
The Jewish community in Liverpool was founded in the mid 18th century and became one of the largest and most influential outside of London. It played a significant part in international Jewish affairs through its sophisticated society networks and the prominence of its middle class merchants, bankers and shopkeepers.
Over the last century, Liverpool's Jewish community has moved out of the centre into the suburbs of Childwall, Allerton and Woolton. However, Princes Road Synagogue still attracts a small but active congregation, with the Princes Road Synagogue Trust dedicated to the preservation of the building and its magnificent decorative scheme. Unfortunately, some of the interior was fire damaged in 1978 but has since been painstakingly restored.
Althouth the Audsleys are best-known in Liverpool for the opulent interior of the synagogue, they also designed many other places of worship, including the Welsh Presbyterian Church, also on Princes Road. It was described by an 1868 edition of 'The Building News', as being made of grey Yorkshire stone and Gothic in style, with details of yellow sandstone and early French influence. The church is still standing, but unfortunately it is now vacant and in need of serious repair.
The brothers' earliest church design was St John's Welsh Chapel on Saint John Street in Chester and built in 1866. They also created Christ Church in the Kensington district of Liverpool, St Margaret's in Anfield and renovated some older buildings like the Parish Church of Bebington on the Wirral.
The Audsleys' biggest commission outside of Liverpool was the New West End Synagogue in the Bayswater district of London. It was completed in 1879.