Poster for the Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, c.1896, Frances MacDonald, Margaret MacDonald and James Herbert McNair

Long vertical poster with central female figure and male figure above and behind with outstretched arms

Colour lithograph, printed in four sections
s. in plate vertically b.l.: ‘HERBERT McNAIR / MARGT MACDONALD / FRANCES MACDONALD’; inscr. in plate b.: ‘THE GLASOW / INSTITUTE / OF THE FINE ARTS / OPEN FEBRUARY TILL MAY’; inscr. in plate vertically b.: ‘CARTER AND PRATT. ART POSTER LITHOS. GLASGOW’
13.1 x 11.8 (5 3/16 x 4 5/8) CORRECT
Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow

The Group of Four’s large-scale posters of the mid 1890s prompted lively debate in the local press as to whether such designs were art or not.

Examples were exhibited in London, Paris and Venice helping to raise international awareness of the young designers and establish their reputations as progressive and experimental.