'The Thunderous Silence of Your Presence'
Prize winner John Moores Painting Prize 2018
- Acrylic on flax
- 220 x 351cm
Through his painting, Howse explores our approaches towards understanding the complexities of nature, humans and the universe in which we reside. He is interested in how humans can be drawn to cosmological explanations and folklore to sooth their fear of the unknown. Realism and fantasy sit side-by-side in Howse’s painting. He describes this "dichotomy between our quest to know and our fallibility to comprehend" as a driving force in his practice.
Tom Howse was born in Chester in 1988 and is based in London. He studied at Wimbledon College of Art 2008-11.
- Catlin Art Prize, Londonewcastle Project Space London 2012
- Chester, CO2 Gallery Rome 2012
- Limey and Kraut (two-person), Tanja Pol Galerie Munich 2013
- I Was Looking Back…(Some Summer Show), Tanja Pol Galerie 2014
- Gunnera Bog (solo), Tanja Pol Galerie 2015
- There Is No Out There Out There, Tanja Pol Galerie 2015
- Pleasure Islands, Artwork Atelier Salford 2016
- Grounds For Magical Thinking, J Hammond Projects London 2017
- Secondhand Toad Poems (solo), Tanja Pol Galerie 2017
- Post-Celestial Compost Rod (solo), Barton Gallery London 2017