'Kos Town Paradise Hotel Front Terrace'
Visitors' choice winner John Moores Painting Prize 2018
The visitors' choice award is sponsored by Rathbones.
- Acrylic and felt tip pen on canvas
- 247.5 x 267cm.
The painting depicts the sunlit terrace of a hotel I stayed at in Kos Town. I always enjoy the light flickering on every object, in the way Renoir would do, and have tried to show this.
The work was made rolled up due to lackof space by painting small sections at a time. The paint and image go right to the ragged canvas edge anfd it was never intended to be put on a stretcher. It was, rather, more similar to making a drawing on a piece of paper. When hung, flat, attached directly to the wall, it echoes the way in which a tapestry is presented.
Gary Lawrence was born in 1959 in Essex. He attended Braintree College 1976-78, Portsmouth Polytechnic 1978-81, Eastern Illinois University 1981-82, Southern Illinois University 1990-92.
- Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy, London 1984, 2016
- Cleveland Drawing Biennale 1985
- Camden Annual, Camden Arts Centre, London 1984, 1986
- Artemisia Gallery (solo), Chicago 1991
- Christopher Stokes Gallery (solo), Chicago 1996
- Pacesetters, Peterborough Museum 1997
- Hunting Art Prize, RCA London 2002
- Kettle's Yard Open, Cambridge 1999, 2006
- Jerwood Drawing Prize, Jerwood Space, London 2011 (first prize), 2013, 2015, 2017 (first prize)
- Eastern Open,King's Lynn Arts Centre 2010-14
- Beecroft Art Gallery (solo), Southend 2013
- Lynn Painter-Stainers Prize, Mall Galleries, London 2015
- BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London 2017
The visitors' choice award
Voting for the visitors' choice award closed on Sunday 7 October 2018 and the winner was announced on 24 October 2018.
We are giving away ten very special John Moores Painting Prize 2018 goody bags to anyone who entered and voted in the visitors' choice award. Five of these include a signed exhibition poster by artist and patron Sir Peter Blake, a tote bag and exhibition catalogue. Another five include an enamel pin badge featuring the John Moores logo, catalogue and tote bag. Aside from the catalogue, none of these commemorative items are available to the public. Draw winners will be notified by 2 November 2018.