Prize winner John Moores Painting Prize 2018
- Oil, acrylic and spray paint on two canvases
- 200.3 x 360cm
O’Rourke painted 'GIANTS' after returning from living in Budapest for six months. The city felt "gigantic" to the artist as a result of its geographical and historical size, from its impressive statues and monuments to its unique landscape, with the River Danube flowing through it. The title of the painting "refers not to the mythological beings but to the idea of what 'giants' really exist", O’Rourke explains.
Joseph O’Rourke was born in Nottingham in 1995 and studied at Manchester School of Art 2013-14 and Edinburgh College of Art 2014-17.
- Less Comfy More Fun Kraak Gallery Manchester 2014, 2015
- And/Order Kraak Gallery 2015
- Aura Exotic, Ateliers Pro Arts Galéria Budapest 2016
- Blueprint, DOK Gallery Leith 2016
- Edinburgh College of Art Degree Show (George Jackson Hutchinson Memorial Award for best painting), Edinburgh 2017
- GIANTS (solo), Tent Gallery Edinburgh 2017
- Hotel Drawings, 20-21 Visual Arts Centre Scunthorpe 2018
- The Hole (solo), Bankley Gallery Manchester 2017
- Places I Want To Be (curator), PS Mirabel Manchester 2018.