Schools and groups
The Walker Art Gallery offers a wide range of free activities, sessions and resources for education and community groups of all ages.
Booking a group visit
Education sessions are free of charge and usually link to the national curriculum through our collections and displays. Many sessions are led by a member of our team, while some are self-led. Booking well in advance is advised.
Popular topics include Greek myths, Tudors, portraits and landscapes, as well as independent study and sketching. There is a dedicated children's gallery, Big Art for Little Artists, which can be pre-booked for younger groups.
See the education sessions page for details.
Preparing for your visit
We strongly advise that all teachers and accompanying adults visiting the gallery with a group read the following guidance notes. This will give you all the practical information you need to ensure that you have an enjoyable and productive visit, including sample risk assessments.
We have prepared teacher's notes and student's workbooks on the themes listed below. Some can be downloaded, where indicated. You can request printed copies of the other materials when you book your visit, either by using filling in the booking form, or by calling the group bookings team on 0151 478 4788.
Please note that you need to request resources at the time of booking. We do not provide pencils or clipboards so please remember to bring your own on the day.
- Big Art for Little Artists - teacher's notes, pupil's activity trail, key stages 1 and 2
- Download On the farm (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Download Me and my family (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Download Seasons (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Craft and Design - pupil's activity trail, resource bag, key stages 1 and 2
- Colour - pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stage 2
- Portraying Jesus - teacher's notes, pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stages 1 and 2
- Tudor Portraits - pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stage 2
- Something Wild at the Walker Art Gallery - resource bag, gallery story book (free for Liverpool schools), key stage 2
- John Moores prizewinners - pupil's workbook, key stages 3 and 4, 16 plus
- Download Liverpool's Biggest Big Draw Activity Pack (pdf) - suitable for home or classroom use
A specially written gallery trail exploring the Walker Art Gallery, with information and questions for those learning English, is available: