Schools and groups
The Walker Art Gallery offers a wide range of free activities, sessions and resources for education and community groups of all ages. These are run by our Education and Communities team.
Booking a group visit
- If you are planning a group visit please ring our booking team on 0151 478 4788 or email us using this form to enquire.
- We have an on site lunchroom which can be pre-booked for lunches during school visits.
- If you would like catering for your group, please contact WAGCafe@liverpoolmuseums.org.uk
Learning sessions with British Sign Language interpretation are available to book on Tuesday 17 March.
Find out how to book your BSL interpreted session.
Learning sessions are free of charge and usually link to the national curriculum through our collections and displays. Many sessions are led by a member of our team, while some are self-led. Booking well in advance is advised.
Popular topics include Greek myths, Tudors, portraits and landscapes, as well as independent study and sketching. There is a dedicated children's gallery, Big Art for Little Artists, which can be pre-booked for younger groups.
Preparing for your visit
We strongly advise that all teachers and accompanying adults visiting the gallery with a group read the following guidance notes. This will give you all the practical information you need to ensure that you have an enjoyable and productive visit, including sample risk assessments.
We have prepared teacher's notes and student's workbooks on the themes listed below. Some can be downloaded, where indicated. You can request printed copies of the other materials by using the contact education form, or by calling the group bookings team on 0151 478 4788.
Please note that you need to request resources at the time of booking. We do not provide pencils or clipboards so please remember to bring your own on the day.
- Big Art for Little Artists - teacher's notes, pupil's activity trail, key stages 1 and 2
- Download On the farm (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Download Me and my family (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Download Seasons (pdf) - treasure trail for groups visiting Big Art for Little Artists, key stage 1
- Craft and Design - pupil's activity trail, resource bag, key stages 1 and 2
- Colour - pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stage 2
- Portraying Jesus - teacher's notes, pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stages 1 and 2
- Tudor Portraits - pupil's workbook, resource bag, key stage 2
- Something Wild at the Walker Art Gallery - resource bag, gallery story book (FREE for Liverpool schools), key stage 2
- John Moores prizewinners - pupil's workbook, key stages 3 and 4, 16 plus
- Download Liverpool's Biggest Big Draw Activity Pack (pdf) - suitable for home or classroom use
A specially written gallery trail exploring the Walker Art Gallery, with information and questions for those learning English, is now available:
Our education booklets, which give an overview of what we offer for different age groups in all our venues, can be downloaded here:
Sign up for our e-newsletter
Get the latest news and information - sign up for the education and communities e-newsletter.