Canopic jar of carved Egyptian alabaster (calcite/travertine). Inscribed with four columns of hieroglyphic text for a priest called Ahmose [Iah-mes], whose name likely means ‘the moon has given birth’.The inscription mentions the tutelary deity the falcon-headed Qebehsenuef who protected the intestines.
Ahmose’s canopic jars are some of the first Egyptian antiquities to be collected by European explorers. In 1719 his canopic jars were drawn by Bernard Montaucon (1655 - 1741) a French Benedictine monk and scholar who published them in his book, ‘L'antiquité expliquée et representée en figures’ (later translated into English ‘Antiquity Explained and Represented in Sculptures’). Each jar is inscribed for a priest called Ahmose, whose name means ‘the moon has given birth’. The two other jars from Ahmose’s set of four are now in the collections of the Louvre Museum in Paris and the Calvet Museum in Avignon.