Part of National Museums Liverpool
More than 1,300 items from our significant Egyptology collection. The full collection is one of the largest in the UK with 16,000 items spanning from the Prehistoric (c.5300 BC) to the end of the Byzantine Period (642 AD).
Building works have now begun on an exciting new project to develop our ancient Egypt gallery, enabling us to tell the fascinating story of how Liverpool acquired its world-renowned ancient Egyptian collection.
Author: Forbes, Henry Ogg
Publisher: Free Public Museums of the City of Liverpool
Author: Downes, Dorothy
Publisher: Aris and Phillips Ltd
Description: Publication of Professor John Garstang's excavations at Esna based on archives kept in the Garstang Museum of Archaeology, the University of Liverpool. The book is based on a University of Liverpool Ph.D. manuscript by Dr Dorothy Downes who was a former Keeper of Archaeology at Liverpool Museum. The publication brings together Garstang's unpublished photographs, notebooks and individual tomb record cards made by his assistant, Mr Harold Jones. The book includes many objects from both Liverpool collections (World Museum and the Garstang Museum of Archaeology).
Start date: 1905
End date: 1905
Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. The cemetery is near 'Hagar Esna' about 4 km to the north west of Esna town, on the west bank of the Nile. Garstang inspected the site in 1904 and was convinced that it was important and unless excavation was undertaken as soon as possible very little would survive the systematic plundering which was flourishing at that time. The first season of work lasted from March to early May 1905 and was conducted by Garstang's assistant, Harold Jones, while Garstang was busy at the site of Hierakonpolis and at Dakke. A second season began in January 1906 and continued for 5 weeks working with 100 Egyptian workmen. again the work was mainly directed by Jones, while Garstang continued his work in Nubia, at Dakke and Koshtamneh. After leaving Esna Garstang and Jones moved on to concentrate on the excavation at Abydos. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) hold 110 glass negatives, antiquities and field notes from the excavations.
John Garstang, Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148.
Dorothy Downes, The excavations at Esna, 1905-1906. (Warminster, 1974).
Start date: 1906-07-10
End date: 1906-07-10
Description: A 17 day exhibition of antiquities excavated between 1905-6 from sites including, Abydos, Esna, Hierakonpolis and Kostamneh. The event was held in what is now the World Cultures Gallery at World Museum. A 4 page exhibition catalogue was published by the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology. The exhibition was inaugrated July 10th, 1906, by the Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., G.C.B., LL.D. and included antiquities belonging to the committee members of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology: Ralph Brocklebank, Esq., The Rt. Hon. Sir J. T. Brunner, Bart., M.P., F. C. Danson, Esq., J.P., Wm. Johnston Esq., Rev. W. MacGregor, M.A., John Rankin Esq., The Lady Amherst of Hackney, Theodore M. Davies Esq., Dr H. O. Forbes and Jesse Haworth Esq.
The full title is taken from the exhibition catalogue:'An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones, Under the Patronage of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the University Institute of Archaeology'.
© Copyright 2016