Fragment of a life-sized statue of Nefertiti. Part of her dress that is inscribed in hieroglyphs with her title, 'Great Royal Wife'. Originally some of the royal buildings at the City of Tell el-Amarna were provided with statues of the royal family, often in hard stones. The largest group seems to have been in the Great Palace but others are known to have stood in the temples. After the death of Akhenaten these statues were deliberately smashed into pieces as a ‘damnatio memoriae’ in condemnation of a pharaoh who people now wanted to forget.
Excavated in the magazines of the Priests' Quarters (P43.1) that lie to the south of the Small Temple at Tell el-Amarna during the 1935-6 excavations of the Egypt Exploration Society.