About this object

Green glazed Egyptian steatite scarab shaped seal inscribed with the name 'Maatkara (Hatshepsut) King of Upper Egypt'. The throne name (prenomen) of Hatshepsut (Maatkara) is formed from three hieroglyphs contained within a cartouche. Beside the cartouche is a large hieroglyph of a bee above a basket, being part of the royal titulary Nsw-Bity (Lord of Upper Egypt). Originally attached to a bronze ring which has since disintegrated. Petrie notes that this find allowed him to date different forms of pottery of Deir Rifa. Very fine design. Excellent preservation. Pierced through the length for suspension.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Object
  • Culture
    New Kingdom
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Deir Rifa
  • Date made
    1473 BC - 1458 BC (Dynasty 18: Reign of Hatshepsut)
  • Materials
    Steatite
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1907
  • Collector
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Deir Rifa
  • Date collected
    1907
  • Measurements
    8 mm x 14 mm x 19 mm
  • Related people
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt (Collector, previous owner); William Matthew Flinders Petrie (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Gizeh and Rifeh

    Petrie, William Matthew Flinders

    Author: Petrie, William Matthew Flinders
    Publisher: British School of Archaeology in Egypt
    Date: 1907
    Description: Publication of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt excavations at Giza and Deir Rifa (1906 - 1907).

Events

  • British School of Archaeology in Egypt Excavations at Deir Rifa, 1907

    Start date: 1907-01-10
    End date: 1907-01-10
    Description: Excavation directed by Flinders Petrie for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. The museum gave financial sponsorship and in return received a share of the finds that were allowed to be exported by the Egyptian authorities. The committee of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt donated 21 objects that were accessioned on 4 April 1907, accession series 4.9.07.8-28. All but 1 of the pottery soul-houses survived the fire which destroyed the museum in 1941. The excavtions were published in Flinders Petrie, 'Gizeh and Rifeh' (London, 1907). For more information visit the Digital Egypt for Universities website: http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/rifeh/index.html

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 156 ms