About this object

Fragment of the cedar wood coffin of a priest called Wen-ankh. There are projections at each end for dovetailing, which suggest this is from one of the two short sides of a box-shaped coffin. Carefully inscribed in sunk hieroglyphs that read in two directions. An illustration of the object appears on the frontcover of Joseph Sam's 1839 catalogue: 'Ancient Egypt: objects of antiquity forming part of the extensive and rich collections from Ancient Egypt brought to England by, or now in the possession of, J. Sams'.

On the left side the inscription reads right to left: 'Said by the Osiris, the God's Father, the sem-priest belonging to the Festival of Re, Wen-ankh'.
On the right side the inscription reads left to right: 'Said by the Osiris, the God's Father, the official of the palace, Wen-ankh' .

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Third Intermediate Period
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date made
    945 BC - 715 BC (Dynasty 22)
  • Materials
    Wood
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, Ancient Egypt Gallery
  • Acquisition
    Gift of Joseph Mayer
  • Collector
    Joseph Mayer
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date collected
    1850 before
  • Measurements
    105 mm x 606 mm x 30 mm
  • Note
    A copy of the text was made by Professor J. Cerny of Oxford University and passed on to the museum by Dr R. Moss of the Griffith Institute, Oxford University on 25 July 1968. It was once thought to have been lost in World War Two.
  • Related people
    Joseph Mayer (Collector, previous owner); Joseph Sams (Previous owner)

Explore related

Publications

  • Ancient Egypt: objects of antiquity forming part of the extensive and rich collections from Ancient Egypt brought to England by, or now in the possession of, J. Sams

    Sams, Joseph

    Author: Sams, Joseph
    Publisher: Joseph Sams
    Date: 1839
    Description: This rare book contains images of many objects now in World Museum Liverpool. Most survived the fire that destroyed the museum in 1941, but for those that perished this publication provides one of the only records of their existence. Many objects in Liverpool's Egyptology collection once belonged to Joseph Sams (1784-1860) a Darlington bookseller who visited Egypt and Palestine in 1822-3, bringing back an extensive collection of antiquities. Many were acquired by the British Museum by a Parliamentary grant in 1824. Between 1830 and 1839 Sams purchased objects from the collections of Henry Salt and Charles Bogaert. Much of Sams collection was later purchased by the Liverpool antiquarian Joseph Mayer (1803-1886). In 1867 Mayer donated 14,000 objects to the Liverpool Museum. Scans of some of the book can be found on the University of Heidelberg's website: http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/sams1839/0001/thumbs?sid=e8625dd65d2533f48137aec215ade5a8#current_page

  • Catalogue of the Mayer Collection Part 1. The Egyptian, Babylonian and Assyrian Antiquities. Second and Revised Edition

    Gatty, Charles

    Author: Gatty, Charles
    Publisher: The Committee of the Liverpool Free Public Library, Museum and Gallery of Art
    Date: 1879
    Description: 83 page illustrated catalogue of Joseph Mayer's Egyptian and Near Eastern collection that was on display. It also includes a small number of other collections, such as those given by Mr William Crosfield in 1861, some by Mr Charles Stoess in 1869, and others by Mr J. A. Tinne in 1870. Occasionally reference will be made to the provenance of objects, in particular if they are from the Joseph Sams or Lord Valentia collections. The woodcut illustrations were produced by the noted Victorian illustrator and engraver, Llewellynn Frederick William Jewitt FSA. Compared to Mayer's 1852 catalogue there are more detailed descriptions for inscribed objects such as stelae, giving names and titles and the character of the text. Much of this information was provided by Samuel Birch of the British Museum who visited the collections in March 1877.

Ownership

Previous owners

  • Joseph Mayer

    Owned from: 1850
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1867
    Disposal method: Donated
  • Joseph Sams

    Owned from: 1839
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1850
    Disposal method: Sold
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 185 ms