Miniature globular, shaped jar with constricted neck and everted rounded rim. Slipped with red and with black rim. Slightly flattened base. Found within tomb 223E '06.
Sir Henry Wellcome acquired this and other artefacts excavated at Esna from the collection of the Rev. William MacGregor at Sotheby's, London, 1922, lot 1702 (page 221 in the auction catalogue). MacGregor was a subscriber to the excavations of the Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology. For the contents of tomb 223E '06 see Dorothy Downes, ‘The Excavations at Esna 1905-1906’ (Warminster, 1974), page 32 (no. 43A). The museum received other artefacts from tomb 223E '06, presented by the Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology (16.11.06.99/106) but these were destroyed in the Second World War.