Part of National Museums Liverpool
More than 1,300 items from our significant Egyptology collection. The full collection is one of the largest in the UK with 16,000 items spanning from the Prehistoric (c.5300 BC) to the end of the Byzantine Period (642 AD).
It’s been a busy week in the run up to opening Animal Mummies Revealed, but somehow we managed to fit in X-raying seven animal mummies.
Author: Martin, Geoffrey Thorndike
Publisher: Griffith Institute
Description: Including many seals published here for the first time, this catalogue is as near as possible a complete catalogue of Egyptian seals, mostly of the Middle Kingdom and Second Intermediate Period, as known in 1971. The seals fall into two main divisions: private-name seals, mostly carved into the form of the sacred scarab beetle, and stamp-seals of government departments and military forts, bearing usually the name of the office concerned. Each catalogue entry lists the reading, a classification of type and relevant bibliographic references. Several hundred of the most important designs are illustrated in clear hand-drawn plates. 203p, 57p of figs (Griffith Institute 1971)
Author: Downes, Dorothy
Publisher: Aris and Phillips Ltd
Description: Publication of Professor John Garstang's excavations at Esna based on archives kept in the Garstang Museum of Archaeology, the University of Liverpool. The book is based on a University of Liverpool Ph.D. manuscript by Dr Dorothy Downes who was a former Keeper of Archaeology at Liverpool Museum. The publication brings together Garstang's unpublished photographs, notebooks and individual tomb record cards made by his assistant, Mr Harold Jones. The book includes many objects from both Liverpool collections (World Museum and the Garstang Museum of Archaeology).
Start date: 1905
End date: 1905
Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. The cemetery is near 'Hagar Esna' about 4 km to the north west of Esna town, on the west bank of the Nile. Garstang inspected the site in 1904 and was convinced that it was important and unless excavation was undertaken as soon as possible very little would survive the systematic plundering which was flourishing at that time. The first season of work lasted from March to early May 1905 and was conducted by Garstang's assistant, Harold Jones, while Garstang was busy at the site of Hierakonpolis and at Dakke. A second season began in January 1906 and continued for 5 weeks working with 100 Egyptian workmen. again the work was mainly directed by Jones, while Garstang continued his work in Nubia, at Dakke and Koshtamneh. After leaving Esna Garstang and Jones moved on to concentrate on the excavation at Abydos. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) hold 110 glass negatives, antiquities and field notes from the excavations.
John Garstang, Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148.
Dorothy Downes, The excavations at Esna, 1905-1906. (Warminster, 1974).
© Copyright 2016