About this object

Stylised carved figure of a naked female with painted decoration. Broken and mended at the waist. Parts of the arms are missing. Marked with the tomb number 126E on the back.

As for much of the Esna collection we cannot find the original record card made by Newberry or Peet. Dorothy Downes records the figure as Liv.M.1905 in her inventory but it cannot be traced in the 2 accessions from the Liverpool Institute of Archaeology for 1905 - 25.11.05 (i.e., 25th Nov. 1905) and 13.12.05 (i.e., 13th Dec. 1905). The figure was definitely in the museum’s collection before 1941 as it appears in the evacuation list of objects that were on display in Ventilator Case 45 and sent to Mostyn Castle (evacuation list no. 1034, with no accession no. but just the tomb number 126E). It was on display in the 1976 gallery case 08 under the number 16.11.06.126E in the handwritten list and 16.11.06.24 on the Access database, which is why we now use this number. However, this number is for a fragment of a stone bowl from Abydos 22A’06 but this was lost in WW2 and so it doesn’t create too much of a problem.

Compare with W. M. F. Petrie, 'Diopolis Parva: the cemeteries of Abadiyeh and Hu. 1898-9'. London (1901), pl. XXVI [from graves Y247 and Y524].

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Second Intermediate Period
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Esna
  • Date made
    1650 BC - 1550 BC
  • Materials
    Limestone
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the Institute of Archaeology, Liverpool
  • Collector
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Esna
  • Date collected
    1905 - 1906
  • Measurements
    118 mm x 39 mm x 29 mm
  • Related people
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology (Collector, previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Gifts of The Nile: Ancient Egyptian Arts and Crafts in Liverpool Museum

    Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela

    Author: Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela
    Publisher: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
    Date: 1995
    Description: A 130 page illustrated book that focuses on the Egyptian antiquities in World Museum's collections to provide a colourful introduction to the land and its culture in the Pharaonic period. An appendix explains the history of the collection and includes information about the Lady Lever Art Gallery Egyptian collection, which is also part of National Museums Liverpool.

  • The Excavations at Esna 1905 - 1906

    Downes, Dorothy

    Author: Downes, Dorothy
    Publisher: Aris and Phillips Ltd
    Date: 1974
    Description: Publication of Professor John Garstang's excavations at Esna based on archives kept in the Garstang Museum of Archaeology, the University of Liverpool. The book is based on a University of Liverpool Ph.D. manuscript by Dr Dorothy Downes who was a former Keeper of Archaeology at Liverpool Museum. The publication brings together Garstang's unpublished photographs, notebooks and individual tomb record cards made by his assistant, Mr Harold Jones. The book includes many objects from both Liverpool collections (World Museum and the Garstang Museum of Archaeology).

Events

  • Liverpool Excavations at Esna 1905-1906

    Start date: 1905
    End date: 1905
    Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. The cemetery is near 'Hagar Esna' about 4 km to the north west of Esna town, on the west bank of the Nile. Garstang inspected the site in 1904 and was convinced that it was important and unless excavation was undertaken as soon as possible very little would survive the systematic plundering which was flourishing at that time. The first season of work lasted from March to early May 1905 and was conducted by Garstang's assistant, Harold Jones, while Garstang was busy at the site of Hierakonpolis and at Dakke. A second season began in January 1906 and continued for 5 weeks working with 100 Egyptian workmen. again the work was mainly directed by Jones, while Garstang continued his work in Nubia, at Dakke and Koshtamneh. After leaving Esna Garstang and Jones moved on to concentrate on the excavation at Abydos. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) hold 110 glass negatives, antiquities and field notes from the excavations. BIBLIOGRAPHY: John Garstang, Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148. Dorothy Downes, The excavations at Esna, 1905-1906. (Warminster, 1974).

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 109 ms