About this object

Large wooden statue of Osiris shown wrapped in bandages as a mummy, with hands protruding holding a crook and flail, symbols of kingship. On his head he wears the white crown of Upper Egypt and on his face are remains of once inlaid eyes. Rather than a having been burnt the black surface of the uppermost part of the statue is probably from a resin poured over the statue at the time of burial as part of a funerary ritual. The sculpture was carved from one piece of wood that is now preserved in three pieces Excavated by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt at Kafr Ammar in 1912.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Third Intermediate Period
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Kafr Ammar
  • Date made
    1069 BC - 664 BC
  • Materials
    Wood
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, Weston Discovery Centre
  • Acquisition
    Transferred from Gilstrap Public Library and Municipal Museum, 1952
  • Collector
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Kafr Ammar
  • Date collected
    1912
  • Measurements
    1250 mm x 260 mm x 170 mm
  • Related people
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt (Collector, previous owner); Josephine Elizabeth Gilstrap (Previous owner); Newark Museum (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Heliopolis, Kafr Ammar and Shurafa

    Petrie, William Matthew Flinders; Ernest Mackay

    Author: Petrie, William Matthew Flinders; Ernest Mackay
    Publisher: British School of Archaeology in Egypt
    Date: 1915
    Description: Publication of the excavations carried out during the winter season 1911-12 by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. Contains chapters by G. A. Wainwright, R. Engelbach, D. E. Derry and W. W. Midgley.

Events

  • British School of Archaeology in Egypt Excavations at Kafr Ammar, 1912

    Start date: 1912-01-14
    End date: 1912-01-14
    Description: Excavation directed by Flinders Petrie for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt at a cemetery dating to the First Intermediate Period near a modern village called Kafr Ammar. This is very close to an Early Dynastic cemetery which the BSAE also excavated that was named Tarkhan by Petrie, as this is the name of the nearest modern settlement. The excavation season began on 14 January 1912 and consisted of an Egyptian working with Flinders Petrie, Hilda Petrie, Ernest Mackay, Gerald Wainwright and T E Lawrence. Flinders Petrie left the excavation on 25 February 1912 leaving Ernest Mackay to pack up. The excavations were published in Flinders Petrie and Ernest Mackay, 'Heliopolis, Kafr Ammar and Shurafa' (London, 1915). In 1952 the Gilstrap collection was transferred from Newark Museum and Art Gallery. This collection was formed by Miss Gilstrap, who contributed funds to the British School of Archaeology in Egypt between 1900 and 1910. She was given a share of the excavated finds in return for the funding she provided.

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 250 ms