About this object

Limestone offering table with a false spout at the front and relief carved representations of two 'hes' vases, used to make liquid offerings, and in between is the representation a loaf of bread, which was a standard food offering. The table is crudely cut and the back left corner is badly chipped.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    First Intermediate Period
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Kafr Ammar
  • Date made
    2181 BC - 2055 BC
  • Materials
    Limestone
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Transferred from Gilstrap Public Library and Municipal Museum, 1952
  • Collector
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Kafr Ammar
  • Date collected
    1912
  • Measurements
    154 mm x 172 mm x 77 mm
  • Related people
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt (Collector, previous owner); Josephine Elizabeth Gilstrap (Previous owner); Newark Museum (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Heliopolis, Kafr Ammar and Shurafa

    Petrie, William Matthew Flinders; Ernest Mackay

    Author: Petrie, William Matthew Flinders; Ernest Mackay
    Publisher: British School of Archaeology in Egypt
    Date: 1915
    Description: Publication of the excavations carried out during the winter season 1911-12 by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. Contains chapters by G. A. Wainwright, R. Engelbach, D. E. Derry and W. W. Midgley.

Events

  • British School of Archaeology in Egypt Excavations at Kafr Ammar, 1912

    Start date: 1912-01-14
    End date: 1912-01-14
    Description: Excavation directed by Flinders Petrie for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt at a cemetery dating to the First Intermediate Period near a modern village called Kafr Ammar. This is very close to an Early Dynastic cemetery which the BSAE also excavated that was named Tarkhan by Petrie, as this is the name of the nearest modern settlement. The excavation season began on 14 January 1912 and consisted of an Egyptian working with Flinders Petrie, Hilda Petrie, Ernest Mackay, Gerald Wainwright and T E Lawrence. Flinders Petrie left the excavation on 25 February 1912 leaving Ernest Mackay to pack up. The excavations were published in Flinders Petrie and Ernest Mackay, 'Heliopolis, Kafr Ammar and Shurafa' (London, 1915). In 1952 the Gilstrap collection was transferred from Newark Museum and Art Gallery. This collection was formed by Miss Gilstrap, who contributed funds to the British School of Archaeology in Egypt between 1900 and 1910. She was given a share of the excavated finds in return for the funding she provided.

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 593 ms