About this object

Redware pottery offering table in the form of a so-called 'soul house' which belongs to a type of pottery funerary artefact associated with shaft tombs at Rifa and some other sites. Roughly horseshoe form with a walled courtyard. On the left side of the courtyard is a model of a quern with grinding stone, and a pestle and mortar, or a tall container with stirrer of the type used to prepare beer. Running down the centre of the courtyard are two channels that divide the courtyard in half and terminate at the entrance to the courtyard - this forms a spout for liquid offerings to drain away when poured onto the 'soul-house'. At the back of the courtyard, on either side of these grooves are two short grooves that may crudely represent tanks. At the back is a roofed structure with two open doors in a wall with six engaged columns which appear to be set upon round column bases. On the right side stairs lead to the roof which is divided in two by a low wall, with one side containing four round features which may represent granaries or mulqaf (wind-catchers). There is some damage to the wall at the front of the roof which may have been much taller and perhaps columned.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Middle Kingdom
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Deir Rifa
  • Date made
    2055 BC - 1650 BC (Dynasty 11) about
  • Materials
    Pottery
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1907
  • Collector
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Deir Rifa
  • Date collected
    1907
  • Measurements
    160 mm x 348 mm x 460 mm
  • Note
    In September 1907 the museum received 5 soul-houses and 3 soul-house fragments from the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. Although not marked with an accession number this is thought to be the only one to have survived the fire-bomb which destroyed the museum in 1941.
  • Related people
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt (Collector, previous owner); William Matthew Flinders Petrie (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Egyptian Treasures in Europe volume 4: National Museums & Galleries on Merseyside, Liverpool

    Andrea Davies and Dirk van der Plas (ed.)

    Author: Andrea Davies and Dirk van der Plas (ed.)
    Publisher: Utrecht University
    Date: 2001
    Description: CD ROM with 1500 objects from World Museum's Egyptian collection, including some destroyed in World War Two. This is now available online: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx

  • Gifts of The Nile: Ancient Egyptian Arts and Crafts in Liverpool Museum

    Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela

    Author: Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela
    Publisher: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
    Date: 1995
    Description: A 130 page illustrated book that focuses on the Egyptian antiquities in World Museum's collections to provide a colourful introduction to the land and its culture in the Pharaonic period. An appendix explains the history of the collection and includes information about the Lady Lever Art Gallery Egyptian collection, which is also part of National Museums Liverpool.

  • Gizeh and Rifeh

    Petrie, William Matthew Flinders

    Author: Petrie, William Matthew Flinders
    Publisher: British School of Archaeology in Egypt
    Date: 1907
    Description: Publication of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt excavations at Giza and Deir Rifa (1906 - 1907).

Events

  • British School of Archaeology in Egypt Excavations at Deir Rifa, 1907

    Start date: 1907-01-10
    End date: 1907-01-10
    Description: Excavation directed by Flinders Petrie for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. The museum gave financial sponsorship and in return received a share of the finds that were allowed to be exported by the Egyptian authorities. The committee of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt donated 21 objects that were accessioned on 4 April 1907, accession series 4.9.07.8-28. All but 1 of the pottery soul-houses survived the fire which destroyed the museum in 1941. The excavtions were published in Flinders Petrie, 'Gizeh and Rifeh' (London, 1907). For more information visit the Digital Egypt for Universities website: http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/rifeh/index.html

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 109 ms