About this object

String of small carnelian ball beads with fish amulets in red jasper and blue glass, blue glass scarab, carnelian scarab, two carnelian cornflower pendants etc.

Described in W. M. F. Petrie's notes as "sard drop necklace" but no mention of the tomb number. Perhaps cemetery D no. 413 "jasper pendants etc".

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Ornament
  • Culture
    New Kingdom
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: El Riqqa
  • Date made
    1550 BC – 1295 BC about
  • Materials
    Jasper; Cornelian; Glass
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt, 1913
  • Collector
    British School of Archaeology in Egypt
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: El Riqqa
  • Date collected
    1913
  • Measurements
    385 mm
  • Related people

Explore related

Publications

  • Riqqeh and Memphis VI

    Engelbach, Reginald

    Author: Engelbach, Reginald
    Publisher: British School of Archaeology in Egypt
    Date: 1915
    Description: With chapters by M. A. Murray, H. Flinders Petrie and W. M. Flinders Petrie. Publication of the excavations of the cemteries near el-Riqqa directed by Reginald Englebach for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt/Egyptian Research Account.

Events

  • British School of Archaeology in Egypt Excavations at Riqqeh, 1913

    Start date: 1912
    End date: 1912
    Description: Excavations at the cemteries near el-Riqqa (also spelt Riqqeh) directed by Reginald Englebach for the British School of Archaeology in Egypt/Egyptian Research Account. Excavations started at the end of 1912 and carried on for four months into 1913. Engelbach was assisted by Mr Tompson and Hilda Petrie. Many of the burials were Middle and New Kingdom in date. The excavations were published in Reginald Engelbach, 'Riqqeh and Memphis VI' (London, 1915).

  • Egypt - the Black Land Exhibition, Liverpool Museum

    Start date: 1972
    End date: 1972
    Description: A temporary exhibition displaying objects from World Museum Liverpool's Egyptian collection. The exhibition started at Liverpool Museum and was open from April 1972 until 2 September 1973 and then travelled to venues around the northwest of England including Sale Town Hall.

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
Have 21 place tagsPage load time: 140 ms