Part of National Museums Liverpool
Search more than 3500 items from our internationally significant Egyptology collection. The full collection is one of the largest in the UK with nearly 20,000 items spanning from the Prehistoric (about 5300 BC) to the end of the Byzantine Period (AD 642).
For World Book Day, we’re celebrating all things literary.
Author: Adams, Barbara
Publisher: SIA Publishing
Description: Description of the 1905-6 excavation at Hierakonplis and a catalogue of finds now held by World Musuem and the Garstang Musuem of Archaeology (Liverpool University).
Author: Garstang, John
Publisher: Annales du Service des Antiquitiés de l’Égypte
Description: Brief account of John Garstang's fieldwork in Upper Egypt between 1905 - 1906.
The article is available online [http://archive.org/stream/annalesduservice08egypuoft#page/132/mode/1up accessed 19 Feb 2015]
Start date: 1905
End date: 1905
Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. Garstang was accompanied by Mr Harold Jones. Excavations were carried out at the town (Nekhen), the temple and a cemetery enclosed within the 'fort' walls where 188 graves were uncovered. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) holds 150 glass negatives, antiquities, some field notes and some season reports.
John Garstang, 'Notes on excavations made in 1904-05'. Man 5 (1905) pp. 145-146.
John Garstang, 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia'. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148.
Barry Kemp, 'Excavations at Hierakopolis. A preliminary note'. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 49 (1963) pp.24-28.
Barbara Adams, 'The fort cemetery at Hierakonpolis (excavated by John Garstang) (1987).
Renee Friedman, review of 'The Fort Cemetery at Hierakonpolis' by Barbara Adams. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78 (1992) pp. 322-4.
Barbara Adams, 'Ancient Nekhen: Garstang in the City of Hierakonpolis' (1995).
© Copyright 2018