About this object

A fragment of an ivory cylinder decorated with a band of incised cross-hatching representing a reed temple, and early hieroglyphs. This may have fitted together with other cylinders to form a sceptre. Found by Harold Jones in December 1905 near the 'Main Deposit'.

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
    Early Dynastic Period
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date made
    About 3000 - 2686 BC
  • Materials
    Tooth Ivory
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the Institute of Archaeology, Liverpool
  • Collector
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hierakonpolis
  • Date collected
  • Measurements
    30 mm x 19 mm x 2.5 mm
  • Note
    Compare with ivory cylinders from the 'main deposit' in J. E. Quibell, Hierakonpolis I (1900), pl. XV;
    Marked by the archaeologist 520, a continuation of James Quibell's original sequence of numbers for objects found within the temple building itself.
  • Related people
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology (Collector, previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related


  • 'An Ivory Fragment from Hierakonpolis, Upper Egypt' in Liverpool Bulletin vol. 12 (1963-64)

    Slow, Dorothy

    Author: Slow, Dorothy
    Publisher: Liverpool Museums
    Date: 1964
    Description: Publication of by the then curator of the Egyptian collections.

  • Ancient Nekhen: Garstang in the City of Hierakonpolis

    Adams, Barbara

    Author: Adams, Barbara
    Publisher: SIA Publishing
    Date: 1995
    Description: Description of the 1905-6 excavation at Hierakonplis and a catalogue of finds now held by World Musuem and the Garstang Musuem of Archaeology (Liverpool University).


  • Liverpool Excavations at Hierakonpolis 1905-1906

    Start date: 1905
    End date: 1905
    Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. Garstang was accompanied by Mr Harold Jones. Excavations were carried out at the town (Nekhen), the temple and a cemetery enclosed within the 'fort' walls where 188 graves were uncovered. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) holds 150 glass negatives, antiquities, some field notes and some season reports. Bibliography: John Garstang, 'Notes on excavations made in 1904-05'. Man 5 (1905) pp. 145-146. John Garstang, 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia'. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148. Barry Kemp, 'Excavations at Hierakopolis. A preliminary note'. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 49 (1963) pp.24-28. Barbara Adams, 'The fort cemetery at Hierakonpolis (excavated by John Garstang) (1987). Renee Friedman, review of 'The Fort Cemetery at Hierakonpolis' by Barbara Adams. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78 (1992) pp. 322-4. Barbara Adams, 'Ancient Nekhen: Garstang in the City of Hierakonpolis' (1995).


Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Page load time: 937 ms