About this object

Greywacke palette in the form of a fish with incised lines for the gills and eye. Objects like this were used with a pebble to grind minerals such as malachite to make eyepaint. There is green malachite staining in the centre.

Marked by the excavator in ink with the grave number F.23. and in pencil (7) or (4). From the Fort Cemetery, grave no. 23.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Object
  • Culture
    Predynastic Period (Naqada II)
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hierakonpolis
  • Date made
    3500 BC - 3100 BC about
  • Materials
    Mudstone
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the General Committee of the Institute of Archaeology, The University of Liverpool
  • Collector
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hierakonpolis
  • Date collected
    1905
  • Measurements
    8 mm x 146 mm x 90 mm
  • Related people
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology (Collector, previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna, and in Nubia', in Annales du Service des Antiquitiés de l’Égypte volume 8, pp. 132-148

    Garstang, John

    Author: Garstang, John
    Publisher: Annales du Service des Antiquitiés de l’Égypte
    Date: 1907
    Description: Brief account of John Garstang's fieldwork in Upper Egypt between 1905 - 1906. The article is available online [http://archive.org/stream/annalesduservice08egypuoft#page/132/mode/1up accessed 19 Feb 2015]

  • Fifty-Third Annual Report of the Committee of the Free Public Museums of the City of Liverpool for the Year Ending 31st December 1905

    Forbes, Henry Ogg

    Author: Forbes, Henry Ogg
    Publisher: Free Public Museums of the City of Liverpool
    Date: 1906
    Description:

  • Gifts of The Nile: Ancient Egyptian Arts and Crafts in Liverpool Museum

    Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela

    Author: Bienkowski, Piotr; Tooley, Angela
    Publisher: Her Majesty's Stationery Office
    Date: 1995
    Description: A 130 page illustrated book that focuses on the Egyptian antiquities in World Museum's collections to provide a colourful introduction to the land and its culture in the Pharaonic period. An appendix explains the history of the collection and includes information about the Lady Lever Art Gallery Egyptian collection, which is also part of National Museums Liverpool.

Events

  • Liverpool Excavations at Hierakonpolis 1905-1906

    Start date: 1905
    End date: 1905
    Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. Garstang was accompanied by Mr Harold Jones. Excavations were carried out at the town (Nekhen), the temple and a cemetery enclosed within the 'fort' walls where 188 graves were uncovered. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) holds 150 glass negatives, antiquities, some field notes and some season reports. Bibliography: John Garstang, 'Notes on excavations made in 1904-05'. Man 5 (1905) pp. 145-146. John Garstang, 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia'. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148. Barry Kemp, 'Excavations at Hierakopolis. A preliminary note'. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 49 (1963) pp.24-28. Barbara Adams, 'The fort cemetery at Hierakonpolis (excavated by John Garstang) (1987). Renee Friedman, review of 'The Fort Cemetery at Hierakonpolis' by Barbara Adams. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78 (1992) pp. 322-4. Barbara Adams, 'Ancient Nekhen: Garstang in the City of Hierakonpolis' (1995).

  • An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones

    Start date: 1906-07-10
    End date: 1906-07-10
    Description: A 17 day exhibition of antiquities excavated between 1905-6 from sites including, Abydos, Esna, Hierakonpolis and Kostamneh. The event was held in what is now the World Cultures Gallery at World Museum. A 4 page exhibition catalogue was published by the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology. The exhibition was inaugrated July 10th, 1906, by the Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., G.C.B., LL.D. and included antiquities belonging to the committee members of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology: Ralph Brocklebank, Esq., The Rt. Hon. Sir J. T. Brunner, Bart., M.P., F. C. Danson, Esq., J.P., Wm. Johnston Esq., Rev. W. MacGregor, M.A., John Rankin Esq., The Lady Amherst of Hackney, Theodore M. Davies Esq., Dr H. O. Forbes and Jesse Haworth Esq. The full title is taken from the exhibition catalogue:'An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones, Under the Patronage of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the University Institute of Archaeology'.

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms