Part of National Museums Liverpool
More than 1,300 items from our significant Egyptology collection. The full collection is one of the largest in the UK with 16,000 items spanning from the Prehistoric (c.5300 BC) to the end of the Byzantine Period (642 AD).
Building works have now begun on an exciting new project to develop our ancient Egypt gallery, enabling us to tell the fascinating story of how Liverpool acquired its world-renowned ancient Egyptian collection.
Publisher: Institute of Archaeology, University of Liverpool
Description: Catalogue of Exhbition of Egyptian Antiquities Inaugrated July 10th, 1906, by the Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., G.C.B., LL.D. Held by Courtesy of the Chairman of the Museums Committee and the Director of the Museums in the Upper Transept of the Lord Derby Museum, Public Museums, Liverpool. July 10th - 26th, 1906.
Author: Garstang, John
Publisher: Annales du Service des Antiquitiés de l’Égypte
Description: Brief account of John Garstang's fieldwork in Upper Egypt between 1905 - 1906.
The article is available online [http://archive.org/stream/annalesduservice08egypuoft#page/132/mode/1up accessed 19 Feb 2015]
Start date: 1906
End date: 1906
Description: Excavation of an A-Group and C-Group cemetery at Kostamneh, Nubia (near el-Dakka) directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee in 1906. The site is about 6 miles north of Quban (ancient Egyptian 'Baki'; Greek 'Contra Pselchis') but is now beneath the waters of Lake Nasser. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (University of Liverpool) has 84 glass negatives, antiquities, some field notes and pottery corpus from the excavations. Other antiquities are known to be in museums at Manchester, Bolton and Glasgow.
John Garstang, 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia'. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 139-141.
Start date: 1906-07-10
End date: 1906-07-10
Description: A 17 day exhibition of antiquities excavated between 1905-6 from sites including, Abydos, Esna, Hierakonpolis and Kostamneh. The event was held in what is now the World Cultures Gallery at World Museum. A 4 page exhibition catalogue was published by the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology. The exhibition was inaugrated July 10th, 1906, by the Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., G.C.B., LL.D. and included antiquities belonging to the committee members of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology: Ralph Brocklebank, Esq., The Rt. Hon. Sir J. T. Brunner, Bart., M.P., F. C. Danson, Esq., J.P., Wm. Johnston Esq., Rev. W. MacGregor, M.A., John Rankin Esq., The Lady Amherst of Hackney, Theodore M. Davies Esq., Dr H. O. Forbes and Jesse Haworth Esq.
The full title is taken from the exhibition catalogue:'An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones, Under the Patronage of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the University Institute of Archaeology'.
© Copyright 2016