About this object

Limestone fragment of raised relief decoration from a tomb or temple wall with representations of two birds being held by their wings. Remains of paint in are visible in places.

The lost original accession number is part of the Wellcome Collection donated to the museum in 1971. The object has a sale house number of 738 and another (crossed out) 208. On one side there is a red pencil mark reading Del - ba??? Reading is difficult. On reverse there are remains of an unclear pencil marking. It seems likely to be from a Middle Kingdom monument at Deir el Bahri.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Architecture
  • Culture
    Middle Kingdom
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes: Deir el Bahri
  • Date made
    Dynasty 11 - Dynasty 12
  • Materials
    Limestone
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the Trustees of the Wellcome Collection
  • Collector
    Henry S Wellcome
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Thebes: Deir el Bahri
  • Date collected
    1971 before
  • Measurements
    99 mm x 64 mm x 26 mm
  • Related people

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • The Temple of Deir el-Bahri: Its Plan, Its Founders, and Its First Explorers

    Naville, Edouard

    Author: Naville, Edouard
    Publisher: Egypt Exploration Fund
    Date: 1894
    Description: Edouard Naville's publication of his excavations for the Egypt Exploration Fund at Deir el Bahri - the 18th Dynasty temple of Hatshepsut.

  • The XIth Dynasty Temple of Deir el-Bahri Part I

    Naville, Edouard and Hall, H. R., and Ayrton, E. R.

    Author: Naville, Edouard and Hall, H. R., and Ayrton, E. R.
    Publisher: Egypt Exploration Fund
    Date: 1913
    Description: Publication of the Egypt Exploration Fund excavations at Deir el Bahri - the 11th Dynasty temple of Mentuhotep II (3 volumes).

Events

  • Egypt Exploration Fund Excavations at Deir el Bahri 1897 - 1907

    Start date: 1897
    End date: 1897
    Description: Edouard Naville's excavations between 1897 and 1907 for the Egypt Exploration Fund. Naville cleared the temple of Hatshepsut and discovered the temple of Mentuhotep II in 1897. He carried out several seasons of work at the beginning of the 20th century with the final season during the winter of 1906-7. The museum provided financial sponsorship and the committee of the Egypt Exploration Fund donated a granary model accessioned on 13 December 1899 (13.12.99.1); 30 objects which were accessioned on 13 October 1904, accession series 13.10.04.11-40. In 1956 the museum purchased the bulk of Norwich Castle Museum's Egyptian collection which included material from Deir el Bahri donated by the Egypt Exploration Society in November 1925 to the East Anglia Egyptian Society( "from old stock"). Bibliography: Naville, The Temple of Deir el-Bahri, 7 vols. (London, 1894-1908). Naville, The XIth Dynasty Temple of Deir el-Bahri, 3 vols. (London,1907-1913).

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms