About this object

A polished pebble stone probably used in conjunction with a palette for grinding eye-paint. Marked by the excavator in ink 'B17', a grave number which Petrie dated to Sequence Date 30 - 50. Excavated in Petrie's Predynastic cemetery B near the modern village of Abadiya (Abadiyeh), grave number B17 recorded by Petrie dated it to Sequence Date 30 - 50 and who described the grave as "the intact grave of an elderly man, contracted, head [facing south]; only 14 lower vertebrae were in line, the skull placed with its base against the upper vertebra, facing backwards, the jaw detached, in front of the face; one scapula and arm united, the other scattered. A jar by the head contained 36 scarab beetles, two-thirds full grown, a third small." ('Diospolis Parva', p. 32.).

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Object
  • Culture
    Predynastic Period (Naqada I)
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hiw-Semaina region
  • Date made
    4000 BC - 3500 BC
  • Materials
    Flint
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the Committee of the Egypt Exploration Fund, 1899
  • Collector
    Egypt Exploration Society
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hiw-Semaina region
  • Date collected
    1898 - 1899
  • Measurements
    50 mm x 35 mm
  • Related people
    Egypt Exploration Society (Collector, previous owner)

Explore related

Publications

  • Diospolis Parva. The Cemeteries of Abadiyeh and Hu 1898-9

    Petrie, William Matthew Flinders

    Author: Petrie, William Matthew Flinders
    Publisher: The Egypt Exploration Fund
    Date: 1901
    Description: Publication of the excavations directed by Flinders Petrie at the Hiw-Semaina region (Diopolis Parva) for the Egypt Exploration Fund.

Events

  • Egypt Exploration Fund Excavations at Hiw-Semaina region, 1898 - 1899

    Start date: 1898
    End date: 1898
    Description: Excavations directed by Flinders Petrie at the Hiw-Semaina region (Diopolis Parva) for the Egypt Exploration Fund. The museum provided financial sponsorship towards the costs and received a share of the finds that the Egyptian authorities allowed to be exported outside of Egypt. The museum subscribed to the 1898-9 excavations and received 165 finds that were accessioned on 25 September 1899, accession series 25.9.99.2-166. About 65 pottery jars and bowls were destroyed in World War Two. Sketches and descriptions, including tomb numbers, were made by Professor Eric Peet.

Ownership

Previous owners

  • Egypt Exploration Society

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: Unknown or unrecorded
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 78 ms