About this object

Mummy label with four lines of an inscription in Coptic written in black ink on one side. Pierced at the top for attachment to the mummy. During the Roman period, such labels were attached to the mummies of deceased individuals as a means of identification to transport them from their home to the correct place of burial. For more information, see the Mummy Label Database Project (Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago and CSIC Madrid): https://oi.uchicago.edu/research/projects/mummy-label-database-mld.

Collected by William Frankland Hood in near Thebes, some time between 1851 - 1861.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Writing
  • Culture
    Romano-Egyptian
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date made
    200 AD about
  • Materials
    Pigment; Wood
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from the collections of Norwich Castle Museum, 1956
  • Collector
    William Frankland Hood
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt
  • Date collected
    1851 - 1861
  • Measurements
    71 mm x 109 mm x 5 mm
  • Related people
    William Frankland Hood (Collector, previous owner); Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • Egyptian Treasures in Europe volume 4: National Museums & Galleries on Merseyside, Liverpool

    Andrea Davies and Dirk van der Plas (ed.)

    Author: Andrea Davies and Dirk van der Plas (ed.)
    Publisher: Utrecht University
    Date: 2001
    Description: CD ROM with 1500 objects from World Museum's Egyptian collection, including some destroyed in World War Two. This is now available online: http://www.globalegyptianmuseum.org/default.aspx

Events

  • Sotheby's Auction House Sale of the Hood Collection 11 November 1924

    Start date: 1924-11-11
    End date: 1924-11-11
    Description: Sale of the Important Collection of Egyptian Antiquities etc formed by the Late Rev. W. Frankland Hood During the Years 1851-1861.

Ownership

Previous owners

  • Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery

    Owned from: 1940
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1956
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
  • William Frankland Hood

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1864
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms