About this object

Two circular bracelets made from shell. Both about 63 mm in diameter. Both have a crack line. Excavated by Professor Garstang at Kom el Ahmar F138 (Hierakonpolis). Both marked with the grave number F138 and one has in pencil the number 4 in a circle.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Ornament
  • Culture
    Predynastic
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hierakonpolis
  • Date made
    3500 BC - 3000 BC about
  • Materials
    Shell
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of the General Committee of the Institute of Archaeology, The University of Liverpool
  • Collector
    Liverpool University Institute of Archaeology
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Hierakonpolis
  • Date collected
    1905
  • Measurements
    7 mm x 62 mm x 63 mm; 1/4 in x 2 7/16 in x 2 1/2 in
  • Note
    Accession register says "3 shell bracelets".
  • Related people

Explore related

Publications

Events

  • Liverpool Excavations at Hierakonpolis 1905-1906

    Start date: 1905
    End date: 1905
    Description: Excavations directed by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology on behalf of the Egyptian Excavations Committee and the Institute of Archaeology during 1905 - 1906. Garstang was accompanied by Mr Harold Jones. Excavations were carried out at the town (Nekhen), the temple and a cemetery enclosed within the 'fort' walls where 188 graves were uncovered. The Garstang Museum of Archaeology (Liverpool University) holds 150 glass negatives, antiquities, some field notes and some season reports. Bibliography: John Garstang, 'Notes on excavations made in 1904-05'. Man 5 (1905) pp. 145-146. John Garstang, 'Excavations at Hierakonpolis, at Esna and in Nubia'. Annales du Service des Antiquities de l’Egypte 8 (1907) pp. 132-148. Barry Kemp, 'Excavations at Hierakopolis. A preliminary note'. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 49 (1963) pp.24-28. Barbara Adams, 'The fort cemetery at Hierakonpolis (excavated by John Garstang) (1987). Renee Friedman, review of 'The Fort Cemetery at Hierakonpolis' by Barbara Adams. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 78 (1992) pp. 322-4. Barbara Adams, 'Ancient Nekhen: Garstang in the City of Hierakonpolis' (1995).

  • An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones

    Start date: 1906-07-10
    End date: 1906-07-10
    Description: A 17 day exhibition of antiquities excavated between 1905-6 from sites including, Abydos, Esna, Hierakonpolis and Kostamneh. The event was held in what is now the World Cultures Gallery at World Museum. A 4 page exhibition catalogue was published by the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology. The exhibition was inaugrated July 10th, 1906, by the Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G., G.C.B., LL.D. and included antiquities belonging to the committee members of the University of Liverpool Institute of Archaeology: Ralph Brocklebank, Esq., The Rt. Hon. Sir J. T. Brunner, Bart., M.P., F. C. Danson, Esq., J.P., Wm. Johnston Esq., Rev. W. MacGregor, M.A., John Rankin Esq., The Lady Amherst of Hackney, Theodore M. Davies Esq., Dr H. O. Forbes and Jesse Haworth Esq. The full title is taken from the exhibition catalogue:'An Exhibition of Egyptian Antiquities Recently Discovered in Egypt and Nubia by Mr John Garstang and Mr E. Harold Jones, Under the Patronage of the Egyptian Excavations Committee of the University Institute of Archaeology'.

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 20 place tagsPage load time: 187 ms