Square wall tile of glazed faience with a pattern decoration of four squares: two black, one white and the other blue. Between 1909 and 1914 John Garstang’s team uncovered a city that contained major temples, palatial dwellings and an unusual water sanctuary that Garstang interpreted as a royal bath. The decoration of some of these buildings included wall tiles of a glazed ceramic called faience.
The tile was donated to the museum in 1918 by Mr Robert Gladstone, along with 7 other objects from Prof. John Garstang's excavations at Meroë. In the accession register there is a note that Gladstone acquired the collection from "the late Colonel Braun".