About this object

This quadruple wedjat (eye of Horus) amulet is made from yellow glazed faience with black glaze for the pupils and eyebrows. Its design comprises four wedjats, two at the top, and two at the bottom, in mirror image, separated by two horizontal papyrus columns, head to head. The back is flat and undetailed. Pierced through the length so the amulet could be threaded and worn. Like the wedjat , papyrus was also a symbol of regeneration.

Given to Flaxman Spurrell by his friend the Egyptologist Flinders Petrie who worked for two seasons in the Faiyum region of Egypt between 1888 and 1890. This is one of fourteen wedjat amulets (nos. 56.20.341-54) collected in the Faiyum region that Spurrell glued to a sheet of card.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion
  • Culture
    Third Intermediate Period; Late Period
  • Artist/Maker
  • Place made
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Faiyum
  • Date made
    1069 BC - 332 BC about
  • Materials
    Egyptian Faience
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from the collections of Norwich Castle Museum
  • Collector
    Flaxman Charles John Spurrell
  • Place collected
    Africa: Northern Africa: Egypt: Faiyum
  • Date collected
    1888 - 1890
  • Measurements
    51 mm x 46 mm x 5 mm
  • Related people
    Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery ( Previous owner); William Matthew Flinders Petrie ( Previous owner); Flaxman Charles John Spurrell ( Collector, previous owner)

Explore related

Publications

Events

  • Petrie's Excavations at the Faiyum, 1888-90

    Start date: 1888
    End date: 1888
    Description: Two seasons of excavations between 1888 and 1890 directed by Flinders Petrie in the Fayum region across a range of sites including Biahmu, Medinet el-Faiyum, Hawara, Lahun (Kahun) and Gurob. The museum has objects recorded as being from Petrie's excavations in the Faiyum but with no specific site reference. Most of the New Kingdom items are presumed to be from Gurob or the alter occupation at Lahun (Kahun). At this time Petrie's fieldwork was largely being sponsored by two men: Jesse Haworth (1835-1921) and Henry Martin Kennard (1833-1911). Petrie gave some of his finds to his close friend, Flaxman Spurrell (1842-1915), whose collection was given to Norwich Castle Museum which was then purchased by Liverpool Museum in 1956.

Ownership

Previous owners

Object view = Humanities
Have 21 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms