Part of National Museums Liverpool
Ancient ivories from Europe, from 4th century AD to the late 12th century AD, covering the Late Antique, Early Medieval, Byzantine and Romanesque periods.
Gina Muskett, former curator of Antiquities, here tells us about unicorn horns and the walking stick, and our ivories collection.
Author: Gatty, Charles T
Description: Catalogue of most of Joseph Mayer's medieval and post-medieval collection, which was either gifted by Mayer in 1867 or purchased from the Mayer Museum Duplicate Fund. The catalogue also lists the Mather Collection, which was left to the city of Liverpool in 1872 by Mr. John Mather, who obtained it in the first instance by purchase from Mayer. The collection of French Revolution badges and medals was purchased in 1870.
Publisher: Philipp von Zabern
Description: A catalogue to accompany the exhibition of the same name, held in Darmstadt and Köln in 1997-1998.
Publisher: The Trustees of the British Museum
Description: Catalogue of an exhibiton of ivory carvings lent by the City of Liverpool Public Museums, mostly from the Mayer-Fejervary collection.
Author: Gibson, Margaret
Publisher: HMSO; National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside
Description: Catalogue of ivory and bone carvings from late antique and medieval held in collections of Liverpool Museum and the Walker Art Gallery.
A temporary exhibition of 56 ivory carvings lent by the City of Liverpool Public Museums (now National Museums Liverpool) to the British Museum, London. The exhibition was organised by the department of Archaeology, Liverpool Museum (Elaine Tankard) and the department of British and Medieval Antiquities of the British Museum (P. Lasko). Some British Museum ivories which offer particularly close parallels with the Liverpool pieces were placed beside one another. The exhibition was held in the King Edward VII Gallery between 18 September 1954 and 3 September 1955 (extended from 5 March 1955) and an illustrated catalogue was published which cost 1s. 6d.
A travelling exhibition focussing on the output of the bone and ivory workshops of the city of Köln during the 12th century AD. The exhibition included over 40 items, all used in church ritual. Exhibition dates: Hessisches Landesmuseum Darmstadt 30 October 1997 - 18 January 1998; Schnütgen-Museum Köln 30 January 1998 - 19 April 1998.
© Copyright 2018