About this object

Handle of mirror. Hollow cylinder made of bone, open at both ends, with outer surface carved in low relief. Two nude, standing male figures, each looking to his righ: a winged figure of Turms (Hermes) wearing a petasos, holding a schematic caduceus, and a youth who holds a sword or club. They have short hair witha few loose curls in front or and behind the ears; the youth's hair is grooves as if held in a fillet. No pigment preserved; the slight green discoloration is the result of proximity to bronze corrosion products.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Personal Object
  • Culture
    Etruscan
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Europe: Southern Europe: Italy
  • Date made
    350 BC - 300 BC
  • Materials
    Animal Bone
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Gift of Joseph Mayer
  • Collector
    Bram Hertz
  • Place collected
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Date collected
    1857 before
  • Measurements
    132 mm
  • Related people
    Bram Hertz (Collector, previous owner); Joseph Mayer (Previous owner)

Explore related

Publications

  • A Guide to Etruscan Mirrors

    Author:
    Publisher: Archaeological News Inc
    Date: 1982
    Description:

  • Catalogue of Etruscan Objects in World Museum, Liverpool

    MacIntosh Turfa, Jean; Muskett, Georgina

    Author: MacIntosh Turfa, Jean; Muskett, Georgina
    Publisher: Archaeopress Publishing Ltd
    Date: 2017
    Description: One of the finest collections of Etruscan artifacts outside of Italy was begun in the 19th century by Joseph Mayer, goldsmith, of Liverpool. His donation of the collection became the core of Liverpool Museum, now World Museum, and has been augmented over the years by additional gifts and other acquisitions, such as those from the Wellcome Collection and Norwich Castle Museum. Much of the original material came from the necropolis of Vulci (Canino) when it was excavated by Lucien Bonaparte, Prince of Canino, while additional objects represent several other cities and sites. Already famous for its gold jewellery and bronze vessels of the 6th to 4th centuries BCE, the Liverpool collection includes a fine selection of Etruscan vases, especially bucchero ware and Archaic painted vases, several scarab seals in semiprecious stones, a small number of carved ivories, and funerary urns, including that of Larui Helesa, in which were found gold earrings identical to those worn by her colourful effigy on its lid. A large group of bronze fibulae (safety-pins) furnish examples of most major types of those important ornaments of the Iron Age and Archaic periods. Engraved bronze mirrors and terracotta votives in the form of heads and body parts (such as uteri) of the 4th and 3rd centuries BCE illustrate myths and offerings that were essential to Etruscan religion. From a Villanovan sword to Hellenistic epitaphs, the Liverpool Etruscan and Italian collection offers a rare glimpse of early civilization in central Italy.

  • Etruscan Life and Afterlife

    Author:
    Publisher: Wayne State University Press
    Date: 1986
    Description:

  • Lexicon iconographicum mythologiae classicae

    Author:
    Publisher: Artemis
    Date: 1981
    Description:

  • Liverpool Ivories: Special Exhibition

    Author:
    Publisher: The Trustees of the British Museum
    Date: 1954
    Description: Catalogue of an exhibiton of ivory carvings lent by the City of Liverpool Public Museums, mostly from the Mayer-Fejervary collection.

  • The Etruscan Collection

    Lloyd-Morgan, G; Girardon, S P

    Author: Lloyd-Morgan, G; Girardon, S P
    Publisher: The Society of Antiquaries of London
    Date: 1988
    Description:

Events

  • Liverpool Ivories

    Start date: 1954-09-18
    End date: 1954-09-18
    Description: A temporary exhibition of 56 ivory carvings lent by the City of Liverpool Public Museums (now National Museums Liverpool) to the British Museum, London. The exhibition was organised by the department of Archaeology, Liverpool Museum (Elaine Tankard) and the department of British and Medieval Antiquities of the British Museum (P. Lasko). Some British Museum ivories which offer particularly close parallels with the Liverpool pieces were placed beside one another. The exhibition was held in the King Edward VII Gallery between 18 September 1954 and 3 September 1955 (extended from 5 March 1955) and an illustrated catalogue was published which cost 1s. 6d.

Ownership

Previous owners

  • Joseph Mayer

    Owned from: 1857
    How acquired: Purchased
    Owned until: 1867
    Disposal method: Donation
  • Bram Hertz

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1857
    Disposal method: Sold
Object view = Humanities
Have 7 place tagsPage load time: 93 ms