This clay seal used to close a jar was excavated from ‘Tomb T’ or the 'Tomb of Den-Setui' during an archaeological dig led by William Matthew Flinders Petrie (1853-1942). It was gifted to Liverpool (now World) Museum in 1901 by the Egypt Exploration Society.
Before 1920, Percy Newberry, Brunner Professor of Egyptology at the University of Liverpool, was called in to look at the Egypt displays in the Main Hall of the museum (see Before and After section for images of the Main Hall from 1932). He produced a series of record cards recording his thoughts on the objects on display. He described the seal as being "yellowish clay", with no mention of it being burnt.
It seems that the seal was burnt during the Blitz as another record card in the museum archives notes that the seal was "charred in fire, May 1941”.