About this object

2 of 2 (non-matching) monk-magistrate's or shalngo's staff of office. Long square staff of iron covered with damascene work of scrolling foliage and 'shou' or long life symbols. Inset into the staff at the centre are four gilt brass panels, there is one on each side of the staff that are separated into five medallions (that are flatter than the previous staff). The panels are decorated with designs of the Seven Treasures of Royalty and the Eight Auspicious Symbols, the centre design of each panel being the garuda or khyung, dragon, snow lion and the tiger respectively. An additional single panel sits at the front of the staff in the same openwork design featuring Tara sitting in royal ease pose with the kirtimukha or 'face of glory' below her and a bowl of jewels above. Above this panel are attached red and white glass symbols of the sun-moon emblem, nyi-da. The finial of the post is also finished with the moon and sun or nyi-da. The pointed end of the staff is now mounted into a three tiered wooden stand. A handle sits at a right angle to the staff and is finished with a red wool and red silk loop fastened with a knot of leather.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Religion; Personal Object
  • Culture
    Tibetan
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Asia: Central Asia: Tibet [China]: Ü-Tsang: Lhasa
  • Date made
    19th Century
  • Materials
    Textile Silk; Textile Wool; Skin Leather; Iron; Gilt Metal; Brass; Wood
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    From the Collection of Sir Charles Bell
  • Collector
    Charles Alfred Bell
  • Place collected
    Asia: Central Asia: Tibet [China]: Ü-Tsang: Gyantse: Drongtse
  • Date collected
    1917-06 before
  • Measurements
    1635 mm x 265 mm x 290 mm; 64 3/8 in x 10 7/16 in x 11 7/16 in
  • Note
    List of Curios No 279:
    A pair of pe-re staffs of office used by the Shal-ngos in Lhasa at the Mönlam festival. Made of iron, embossed with brass gilt in the middle and at the ends. Each has a handle with a ring. The iron is decorated with Jam-sang (damascene) work. The brass gilt figures in the middle are of the Tashi Ta-gye and other figures and signs.
    These iron staffs are carried by the Shalngos when going to and fro between the assemblies and their monasteries. When they arrive at their place of meeting, the plant the pe-re in the ground.
    These two pe-re were obtained by Palha Kusho through the Palha Kenchen from the Dre-pung monastery. Only Sera and Drepung have pe-re like this. A few spare ones are kept in each of these two monasteries, perhaps 8 or 10 in each. Paid Palha Kusho Rs 160/- for each of the two pe-re. June 1917.
    Curator's note: Bell mentions the pere on several occasions when he is in Lhasa in 1921, particularly during the Mönlam festival. Palha Kenchen was a relation of Palha Kusho, Palha Kenchen was head of the Palha family and lived at Bangyeshar Mansion in Lhasa, he was a close relation of Palhese, Bell's confidant and advisor.

    Written by Emma Martin
  • Related people
    Charles Alfred Bell (Collector); Palha (bought from)

Where is this object from?

Explore related

Publications

  • List of Curios

    Bell, Charles Alfred

    Author: Bell, Charles Alfred
    Publisher:
    Date:
    Description: A typed object catalogue from Bell's handwritten notes on a wide variety of objects from his personal collection. This information often contains, the date he obtained an object, its provenance (including where and who he acquired from) and the person responsible for giving him the information. The process of writing the inventory began in December 1912 and continued until the late 1930s.

  • Tibet: Catalogue of Exhibits

    Tankard, Elaine

    Author: Tankard, Elaine
    Publisher: Liverpool Public Museums
    Date: 1953-03
    Description: Introductory essay and catalogue entries, in themes, for the 1953 exhibition; 'Tibet', held at the Walker Art Gallery.

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 16 place tagsPage load time: 625 ms