About this object

A copper teapot, elaborately decorated with silver mounts on the spout, collar, handle, foot and body. On the body are two openwork medallions featuring the shang-shang; mythical figures which are part human, part bird. The handle is cast in the shape of a dragon, while the spout is in the form of a makara, or mythical sea creature. The lid is finished with a silver lotus, the collar with fine openwork of lotus flowers and auspicious symbols.

Object specifics

  • Type
    Household Objects
  • Culture
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Asia: Southern Asia: Bhutan
  • Date made
    Late 19th Century
  • Materials
    Copper; Silver
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    From the Collection of Sir Charles Bell
  • Collector
    Charles Alfred Bell
  • Place collected
    Asia: Southern Asia: Bhutan
  • Date collected
    Around 1910
  • Measurements
    350 mm x 400 mm x 260 mm; 13 3/4 in x 15 3/4 in x 10 1/4 in
  • Note
    List of Curios No 62:
    Tea pot ( Sang-bu-ngü-shön-chen) of copper embossed with silver and silver gilt work. Use same as that of No. 35 [50.31.97], but of much better manufacture. Almost same as No. 102 [in British Museum 1933,0508.126].

    Curator's note: Likely to have been collected during Bhutan treaty negotiations of 1910, although not listed as so and Bell did meet with the Bhutanese agents and Royal family on several other occassions, especially at Bhutan House in Kalimpong.

    Written by Emma Martin
  • Related people
    Charles Alfred Bell (Collector)

Where is this object from?

Explore related


  • List of Curios

    Bell, Charles Alfred

    Author: Bell, Charles Alfred
    Description: A typed object catalogue from Bell's handwritten notes on a wide variety of objects from his personal collection. This information often contains, the date he obtained an object, its provenance (including where and who he acquired from) and the person responsible for giving him the information. The process of writing the inventory began in December 1912 and continued until the late 1930s.

Object view = Humanities
No media found
Page load time: 109 ms