About this object

A rectangular cloak (kaitaka patea) made from New Zealand Flax fibrewith a decorative border (taniko) on three sides.

This garment was made by finger-weaving or twining without the use of a loom. The main technique used is double-pair twining, which forms the wefts (aho). There are also four rows of single-pair twining at the bottom next to the taniko border. The cloak is very finely twined with 11 warps (whenu) per cm and wefts 8mm apart. The warps continue into the bottom taniko border, and the neck edge has warps folded over in a roll in light and dark threads. The taniko edges are folded over, with the raw edges of the warps at the back.

There are four grouped extra wefts (aho poka) on each side at the shoulder area, three each side of the hip and three each side at the bottom to provide shaping. Also two twisted cords (light and dark) along all the side edges. The bottom taniko border is deeper than the side borders and has patterns in zig-zags and diamonds. Patterns on the side taniko borders are triangular. The surface of the taniko is raised in places giving a sculptured effect.

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Oceania: Polynesia: New Zealand
  • Date made
    Before 1825
  • Materials
    Fibre Yarn Flax (NZ) (Phormium sp); Dye; Technique: Twined, dyed
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, World Cultures
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from Norwich Castle Museum, 1956
  • Collector
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place collected
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Date collected
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Measurements
    157.5 x 0.7 x 102.0 cm
  • Note
    This dress cloak is a very good example of its type. Cloaks such as these were worn by prominent people and took up to two years to make.

    Attribution: Near Winchester Sound, Cook Straits...Cook period (David Simmons, 1978).

    Comments: One diamond above the other is a double mouth design - waharua - linked to female genitalia, seen in sculptured surface patterns also (Patricia Wallace, 18 December 2003).

    Acquired by Norwich Castle Museum from Mr C Pettet in 1825.
  • Related people
    Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Previous owner); C Mr Pettet (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?


Previous owners

  • Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery

    Owned from: 1825
    How acquired: Purchase
    Owned until: 1956
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
  • C Mr Pettet

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Gift
    Owned until: 1825
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Page load time: 78 ms