About this object

A rectangular cloak (kaitaka) made from New Zealand Flax fibre with a decorative twined border (taniko) on three sides and coloured wool twined along the edges.

This garment was made by finger-weaving or twining without the use of a loom. The main technique used is double-pair twining, which forms the wefts (aho). This began with the loose ends of the warps (whenu) at the bottom of the main section, and finished at the neck edge with the warps folded over. The warps do not continue into the bottom taniko border; the three borders were attached after the main part of the cloak was made. The cloak is very finely twined with nine to ten warps per cm and the wefts (aho) 10mm apart. There is one extra weft (aho poka) on each side at the shoulder area and six grouped on each side at the hip to provide shaping.

The taniko patterns include zig-zags, triangles and diamonds in black or dark brown and pale yellow undyed New Zealand flax. The bottom taniko border is deeper than the side borders, and all borders have red, yellow and brown wool twined in or sewn on. All edges have twined red wool, as does the bottom taniko attachment to the main section of the cloak. There are the remains of black (twisted cord) tassels along the top edge.

Some red wool sewn on (at the top of the side taniko) may not be original. The taniko border is breaking away in places.

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Oceania: Polynesia: New Zealand
  • Date made
    Before 1926
  • Materials
    Fibre Yarn Flax (NZ) (Phormium sp); Textile Wool; Dye; Technique: Twined, dyed
  • Location
    Item not currently on display
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from Norwich Castle Museum, 1956
  • Collector
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place collected
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Date collected
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Measurements
    175.0 x 1.0 x 89.5 cm
  • Note
    Attributions: Taranaki area, about 1835 (David Simmons, 1978); Taranaki (Roger Fyfe, March 1994).

    Acquired by Norwich Castle Museum from Miss EM Holley in 1926.
  • Related people
    E M Miss Holley (Previous owner); Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Previous owner)

Where is this object from?


Previous owners

  • Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery

    Owned from: 1926
    How acquired: Purchase
    Owned until: 1956
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
  • E M Miss Holley

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Gift
    Owned until: 1926
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Page load time: 93 ms