About this object

A rectangular cloak (kahu kiwi) made from New Zealand Flax fibre with a decorative twined border (taniko) on three sides and decorative twining along the neck edge. The rest of the outside of the cloak is covered with kiwi feathers.

This garment was made by finger-weaving or twining without the use of a loom. The main technique used is double-pair twining, which forms the wefts (aho). There are five rows of twining close together at the neck edge, holding running threads, and three rows of single-pair twining next to the bottom taniko. The neck edge has warps (whenu) folded over and the cut ends hidden by decorative running threads. The taniko along the bottom is slightly wider than at the sides and is twined using the warps from the main section of the cloak plus extra warps inserted at the lines of single-pair twining. It is finished with a rolled edge. The side taniko borders are edged with plaits. There are six to seven warps per cm and the wefts (aho) are 7-8mm apart.

There are 10 grouped extra wefts (aho poka) on each side at the shoulder area and 10 on each side at the hip to provide shaping. The taniko patterns are mainly 'v' shapes and triangles in yellow, natural pale yellow, black and dark red. The kiwi feathers vary in colour, which may be deliberate. The feathers are attached vertically.

Object specifics

  • Type
  • Culture
  • Artist/Maker
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place made
    Oceania: Polynesia: New Zealand
  • Date made
    1932 before
  • Materials
    Yarn Flax (NZ) (Phormium sp); Feather Kiwi (Apteryx sp); Dye; Technique: Twined; dyed
  • Location
    World Museum, Level 3, World Cultures
  • Acquisition
    Purchased from Norwich Castle Museum, 1956
  • Collector
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place collected
    Not recorded
  • Date collected
    1932 before
  • Measurements
    142.0 x 1.5 x 117.0 cm
  • Note
    Attributions: 20th century (David Simmons, 1978).

    Comments: The patterned effect in feathers is deliberate, as some kiwi are silvery (Patricia Wallace, 18 December 2003).

    Acquired by Norwich Castle Museum from Colonel Granville Duff in 1932.
  • Related people
    Granville Col Duff (Previous owner); Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Previous owner)


Previous owners

  • Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery

    Owned from: 1932
    How acquired: Purchase
    Owned until: 1956
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
  • Granville Col Duff

    Owned from: Unknown or unrecorded
    How acquired: Unknown or unrecorded
    Owned until: 1932
    Disposal method: Unknown or unrecorded
Object view = Humanities
No media found
Have 26 place tagsPage load time: 156 ms