Blackmore Museum

Associated with Ethnology collections

Once formed part of the Salisbury Museum, which originally consisted of two museums on the same site; the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum, housing the local collections, and the Blackmore Museum, housing the American, European and other world collections. The American archaeology collections were particularly strong.

The Blackmore Museum was founded in 1864 and opened in 1867. It was funded by William Blackmore (1827-1878), a wealthy English lawyer and philanthropist, born in Salisbury, but with strong business connections to the United States. He practised as a solicitor in Liverpool 1841-?. In 1863 he presented a collection of stone implements and other items from North America to the city of Salisbury. Dr Humphrey Purcell Blackmore (1822-1929), surgeon and archaeologist, was also a founder of the museum and one of the two honorary curators. After the two museums were amalgamated in 1902, the collections were broken up and dispersed, some passing to the Smithsonian, Birmingham Museum and the British Museum, some to the collection of Harry G Beasley. The documentation for this period is poor.

Source: Correspondence with Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum, September 1991 and Wikipedia.
  • Gender
    N/A
  • Relationship
    Previous owner
  • Nationality
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Born
    Unknown or unrecorded
  • Place of birth
    Unknown or unrecorded

14 item(s) from the New Zealand collection related to Blackmore Museum

Results: 1 | 2
Page load time: 281 ms