© iStockphoto.com/Dmitriy Shironosov
- Cohen, S and Strachan, R 2005. 'Musical representations of the shrinking city'. Shrinking
cities, volume 1: International investigation. Edited by P Oswalt. Catalogue for the
'Shrinking Cities' exhibition, Berlin: Institute for Contemporary Art.
- Cohen, S 2008. Decline, renewal and the city in popular music culture: beyond the Beatles. Guildford: Ashgate.
- Connell, J and Gibson, C 2003. Sound tracks: popular music, identity and place. London: Routledge.
- Crafts, SD, Cavicchi, D, and Keil, C 1993. My music. New England: Wesleyan University Press.
- Daniels, S 2006. Suburban pastoral: Strawberry Fields forever and sixties memory. Cultural
- Dockwray, R 2005. Deconstructing the rock anthem: textual form, participation and collectivity. PhD
Thesis: University of Liverpool.
- Du Noyer, P 2002. Liverpool: wondrous place. London: Virgin.
- Frith, S 1987. 'The industrialisation of popular music'. Popular music and
communication. Edited by J Lull. Newbury Park, Calif: Sage Publications. pp53-77.
- Frith, S and Horne, H 1987. Art into pop. London: Methuen.
- Forman,M 2000. '"Represent": race, space and place in rap music'. Popular Music. 19: 1. pp65-
- Garofolo, R 1992. 'Popular music and the civil rights movement' in rockin' the boat: mass
music and mass movements. Golson, The Playboy Interviews, Du Noyer, Liverpool p228.
- Gillett, C 1983. The Sound of the City. London: Souvenir
- Hebdige, D 1979. Subculture: the meaning of style. London: Routlege.
- Krims, A 2007. Music and urban geography. London: Routledge.
- Manuel, P 1993. Cassette culture: popular music and technology in north india. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.
- McCartney, P 2002. 'Foreword' to Liverpool: wondrous place by P Du Noyer. London: Virgin.
- Middleton, R 2003. 'Class'. Continuum encyclopedia of popular music
of the world, Volume 1. Edited by John Shepherd et al. London: Continuum.
- Russell, D 1987. Popular music in England, 1840-1914: a social history. Manchester:
Manchester University Press.
- Shank, B 1994. Dissonant identities: the rock 'n' roll scene in Austin, Texas. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England.
- Shepherd, J and Manuel, P 2003. 'Urbanisation'. Continuum encyclopedia of popular music of the world, Volume 1. Edited by John Shepherd et al. London: Continuum.
- Stokes, M 1994. 'Introduction' to Ethnicity, identity and music: the musical construction of place,
edited by M Stokes. Oxford: Berg. pp1-27.
- Turchi, P 2004. Maps of the imagination: the writer as cartographer. San Antonio: Trinity
- Van Leeuwen, T 1998. 'Music and ideology: notes toward a sociosemiotics of mass media music'. Popular music and society. 22:4. pp25-54.
- Wallis, R and Malm, K 1984. Big sounds from small peoples. New York: Pendragon
- Waxer, L 2002. The city of musical memory: salsa, record grooves and popular music in Cali,
Colombia. New England: Wesleyan University Press.
- Willis, PE 1978. Profane culture. London: Routledge Falmer.
Films and radio programmes referred to in the Sounds of the City section:
- '8 Mile'
- 'Crossing the Line'
- 'Dancing in the Rubble' (Radio 4, 29 October 1982).
Websites related to the Sounds of the City section: