Immunity from Seizure
National Museums Liverpool is able to provide immunity from seizure under Part 6 of the Tribunals, Courts and Enforcement Act 2007. The Act provides protection from seizure for cultural objects from abroad that are lent to temporary exhibitions in approved museums and galleries in the UK.
The conditions for the granting of immunity from seizure are:
- The object is usually kept outside the UK
- It is not owned by a person resident in the UK
- Its import does not contravene any import regulations
- It is brought to the UK for public display in a temporary exhibition at a museum or gallery
- The borrowing museum or gallery is approved under the Act
- The borrowing museum has published information about the object online
All works currently being proposed for or covered by immunity from seizure in the UK are linked to the Arts Council’s website.
There are currently no exhibitions at National Museums Liverpool containing cultural objects covered by immunity from seizure.