Account of voyage from Liverpool - Montreal of Cecil Daniel Andrew passenger on Sardinian, 1892.



Account of voyage from Liverpool - Montreal of Cecil Daniel Andrew passenger on Sardinian 4 - 15 Aug 1892. Recorded and illustrated from his letters by his brother Arthur Goodwin Andrew. Biographical note with the account reads: From Liverpool to Montreal 1892 by the SS Sardinian. This account of the voyage of Cecil Daniel Andrew, a young engineer emigrating to Canada on the S.S. Sardinina in August 1892, to try his luck, was compiled and illustrated by his younger brother, Arthur Goodwin Andrew, from Cecil's letters home. Cecil Daniel Andrew was born in 1866. His father, the Lay Clerk at Manchester Cathedral, died when he was twelve, and his mohter when he was sixteen, leaving a large family in straightened circumstances. He studied engineering at the Manchester Technical School and served an apprenticeship with Beyer Peacock, a leading locomotive manufacturer of those days. After a spell in their drawing office and, according to family legend, working for a time in France, he emigrated to Canada at the age of 26, hoping to find greater advancement in his profession there. After his arrival at Montreal, he joined the Canadian Pacific Railway company as a humble erector, but quickly progressed to the drawing office. He then became responsible to the Mechanical Superintendent for testing of locomotives. In 1895, he transferred to the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company, serving as one of the ship's engineers in the S.S. Empress of Japan. In 1899 he joined the Westinghouse Company at Pittsburg, becoming Assistant Superintendent. He played an important part in establishing the Westinghouse Works at Trafford Park, Manchester, begun in 1901. This massive project set a new technological standard and the forty engineers engaged on it have gone down in engineering history as 'The Holy Forty' At the start of the Great War in 1914, he was commissioned by the Admiralty and War Office to locate and purchase essential machine tools from America, and was twice sent on procurement missions over there during the height of the U-boat campaign. He invented various improvements to machine tools for shell and other wartime production, as well as to those used in railway workshops. After the war he held a number of senior positions in railway and machine tool engineering, commencing with the planning and organisation of Armstrong-Whitworth's machine tool works at Openshaw, Manchester, of which he was general manager for some years. He died in 1936.